United, we call upon the Government of Canada to:
1. Respect the right to freedom of opinion and expression
- Cease to deliberately target those who speak out against government policies with the use of smear campaigns, dismissal from employment, funding cuts, blatant and subtle threats, regulations designed to obfuscate and prevent public debate, and other acts of bad faith.
- Commit to parliamentary hearings that address widespread concerns about the loss of democratic space in Canada.
2. Act in accordance with Canada’s democratic traditions and values
- Actively promote and support political diversity and public debate, instead of avoiding it.
- Recognize and respect the vital role, expertise, and necessary independence of civil society organizations.
3. Be transparent
- Demonstrate full respect for and accountability to the Parliament of Canada and the Canadian People.
- Allow complete access for Canadians to information regarding public policy decisions.
- Base funding decisions for government and civil society organizations on fair standards and democratic principles, instead of partisan agendas.
Read more and endorse the Declaration, as an individual or an organization
Read the report Dismantling Democracy: Stifling debate and dissent in Canada